Hello everybody, it's been a while... Well, my wife and I finally relocated back to the states ~4 months ago after a 3 year Expat Assignment in Asia (Taiwan & Korea). On our return, however, we actually ended up a little more South then where we started. An opportunity presented itself in the Bay Area that we felt we had to pursue, and long story short here we are alive and well in Los Gatos, CA. Being back home (with a garage, MiSUMi & McMaster-Carr) already has me itching to start a few projects again. While I was overseas, I was pinged with the occasional interest in the tools I've built in the past and I figured these would be a great place to start again as the demand is there and I have a long history with their functionality and performance.
I, like most builders, build frames as a serious professional hobby. I do it for the love of bicycles and the passion for understanding the bicycle at it's fundamental core "the frame." However, this leaves me with little incentive to fully commit to the heavy investment in the coveted professional equipment. While there is maybe a jump in functionality and the overall fit & finish of these tools it also comes with a big jump in the associated costs. This is where I think Joe Bringheli has been able to fill a gap of entry level jigs in the bicycle industry. I think it's a great jig for the money (especially second hand) and I used it as sold from Joe for my 2nd & 3rd bikes. However, by #4 I'd become handy enough with the file that actually jig checking & fixturing with the Bringheli became the bottle neck in my process and not my miters. This is where I really started to examine ways to improve the jig with the greatest impact at the lowest cost.
My first project was the Bringheli Backend Replacement. I'd used Anvil Dummy Axles in my DIY Fork Jig and they are simply the best. The keyed design to keep the dropouts in sync are not just a luxury but IMO a necessity. I built the first Bringheli Backend Upgrade Prototype on a Manual Bridgeport way back in 2013.